socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

I received a sum of money that allowed 100% payment of unsecured

I received a sum of money that allowed 100% payment of unsecured creditors during the 1st year of a 5y plan. The trustee has begun the closing process for our Chapter 13. There are two vacated properties that are listed a secured claims.
Foreclosure proceeding have begun on the two properties. I strongly believe the market value is well below the secured claims.
The bar date passed on 4/9/09.
I am concerned that the secured creditor/s may object to the closing because of the early payoff.

Please answer:

1) What recourse does a secured creditor have to collect an unknown loss/unsecured amount after the plan is approved by the court?

2) Can the secured creditor amend the proof of claim after the bar date has passed? When they filed, they filed as all secured credit.

3) In a Chapter 13 plan, does the judge have any judicial discretion is such matters?

4) Given that we have repaid the unsecured creditors 100%, all lawyer fees and court fees; can any creditor still make/change a claim?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

A: The creditor cannot attempt to collect on the original debt. However, the creditor can simply foreclose the secuirty interest.

A: Permitting the amendment to a proof of claim "lies within the equitable discretion of the bankruptcy court." In re Wilson, 96 Bankr. 257 (1988). The crucial question is whether or not the amendment would prejudice the objecting party, which could be another creditor or the trustee, as easily as it could be the debtor.

A: See #2, above.

A: This actually could weaken your position, because the secured lender's request would not prejudice the other creditors -- as they have already been paid.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.