Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

1. One judgement has been entered against me. It was for

1. One judgement has been entered against me. It was for a real estate title mistake. They also made me go to a deposition to see what I have. This was two months ago. Nothing has happened since

2. Another case - I returned my leased vehicle before the end of the lease because I could no longer afford it. I received a summons for breach of contract for $40k on May 1st giving 20 days to respond. I did not respond.

On June 5th I received a letter of default for failure to serve a pleading from the court.

On June 30th there was a hearing for plaintiff's motion for entry of final default judgment.

What happens next?

Do I have to receive a letter of a final judgement ruling?

How soon after I file bankruptcy will my bank account/paycheck be protected?

Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

You can file bankruptcy prior to receiving the final judgment. The bankruptcy filing would immediately stop all action against you.

As an individual, there are two types of bankruptcy available. A Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13. There are distinct differences in between a Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your unsecured debt such as credit cards, judgments and personal loans. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start. However, you may have to surrender assets, if any, that exceed your exemption.

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a repayment plan for an individual. It may require that you repay some of your unsecured credit card debt over a 3 -5 year period. However, you may retain assets that exceed your exemption.

Here are the exemptions for Florida:

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,