Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  20 years of professional experience

Last month I went to CCCS to set up a payment plan for debt.

Customer Question

Last month I went to CCCS to set up a payment plan for debt. My job lowered our commission in half. After setting everything up, I haven't even made the 1st payment yet, my store where I work has decided to go out of business. July 31 is the last day I will have a job. I won't have money to pay my CCCS payment and wonder is it better to file bankrupt. I owe $28, 600!

Do I qualify for bankruptcy? Where do I start?

Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 7 years ago.

Yes, I think you do qualify for BK and it may be a very good option for you since it appears that you are not able to pay your debts as they become due. I would suggest theat the easiest thing for you to do is go to your local book store and get a BK book with forms in it for a Chapter 7 BK that is put out by the Nolo Press. I think it is titled "How to file Chapter 7 Bankruptcy" and cost around $20.

Also, under Texas law, you will be able to keep a lot of assets under the exemption laws. You can choose either the federal or the state exemptions, but not both. Those should be listed in the book as well.

Please click "ACCEPT" so I can get credit for my work. If needed, we can continue our conversation after this at no additional charge.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thank you so much, Maverick. I appreciate you answering my question! I was worried as I couldn't pay more today. I will go to the book store and read what I can in this book prior to purchase next week.

I don't think I have any assets. My car is 8 yrs old. I do have alot of furniture! (worked in the industry).

Thank you for your help and thoughtfulness in answering me.

Kindest regards,

Expert:  Maverick replied 7 years ago.
Your welcome. God Bless.