Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My step-mother is currently in Hospice treatment for liver

My step-mother is currently in Hospice treatment for liver failure. She has run up extensive medical bills. They have been married < 5 yrs. She had no assets prior to the marriage and all assets remain in only my fathers name. State is Arizona. She is < 65 years and minimally insured.

Is my father legally responsible for the remaining medical bills?
No, your father is not responsible for the medical bills of your step-mother UNLESS he has signed an agreement to pay them.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I don't think he has done this, but he is early stages alzhimer and does not remeber clearly. Her admission was via ER and very stressful. Would this be "routine" part of the admission forms? Given the fact that his wife was close to death, could they be challenged if he did sign?

No. Usually, adults aren't asked to be responsible for another's medical bills - even a spouse. This usually occurs when a parent takes a child for medical care.

If he did sign such an agreement, it could be challenged because of his health condition.