socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

we are having to file bk7 in tucson AZ since my husband had

we are having to file bk7 in tucson AZ since my husband had a stroke. we are required to list all personal property & i think i did...but what if i missed listing an item? During the course of this filing can the court come do a physical inspection of my house?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

The bankruptcy trustee can legally make an investigation of your home, but the chances of that happening are about as good as having a meteorite hit your coffee table.

If you inadvertantly miss an item that has substantial value, then you can amend your petition at any time during the proceedings. However, if the court thinks you're playing "fast and loose" with the filings, then the court has the power to dismiss the entire bankruptcy, which would leave you right where you started.

So, you may want to try to be as accurate as possible with your first filing.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.