socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

i filed chpt 7 in 2002. my mortgage co. did not re-affirm the

i filed chpt 7 in 2002. my mortgage co. did not re-affirm the debt,and just found this out a few months ago. i have informed them, i am surrending the house and have in fact moved out,w/ all utilities shut off. i just today receive a property tax bill. am i obligated to pay the taxes?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

Property taxes incurred prior to the date of filing bankruptcy are disallowed to the extent that they exceed the value of the property to the bankruptcy estate (Bankr. Code Sec. 502(b)(3)).

Property taxes incurred after the date of filing are not discharged, so you owe on them. However, as a practical matter, if you walk away from the house, then the lender will have to pay the property tax bill, or it will lose the property to the State. This would discharge your obligation to the State, but the lender could then attempt to collect against you for its having paid your tax bill after bankruptcy.

Whether or not the lender will actual sue you is unknown. It's entirely up to the lender's discretion about whether it wants to spend the money to try to collect.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)