Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

My sister is planning on filing bankruptcy in about 6 months.

My sister is planning on filing bankruptcy in about 6 months. She has two vehicles that are completely paid off. They are in hers and her daughters name joingtly. She just got a letter from a credit card co saying they are going to get a judgement against her. What she wants to know is if the courts or the creditor can force her daughter to sell the vehicles.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

If the daughter is not the bankrupt party, the court cannot force her to sell her property. However, the court can order your sister (her mother) to sell her 1/2 interest in the vehicle to generate money to pay creditors.

However, this is highly unlikely for the practical reason that there aren't many people that want to own a 1/2 interest in a car with a complete stranger.