socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

Chp 13 Closing questions On the proof of claim forms filed

Chp 13 Closing questions
On the proof of claim forms filed for the house; section 4 (secured claim), no claim for unsecured debt.

The plan was approved Jan of 09. I have met my obligations under the plan and the trustee has begun the closing process. I made a large lump sum payment.

According to my lawyer, the creditors had until 4/9/2009 to make any unsecured claim.

1) How could the bank know how much to claim as a unsecured claim when the value of the properties was not known? They made their full claim as secured.

2) The 4/9 date was over a month past my plan approval date. Is it the last time anyone can make a claim? Or is it to amend the claims all ready approved? And what is it called in bankruptcy lingo?

3) Can/will the judge allow the bank to modify their claim during the closing period?

4) My lawyer was not clear but said this is highly unlikely. How would it even be possible for the judge to allow the claim to change after the 4/9 date has passed?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 5 years ago.

A: A claim may be valid, even though uncertain/unliquidated.

A: There are a number of exceptions to the 90-day proof-of-claim cutoff/bar date. See Fed. R. Bankr. P 3002(c)

A: If it falls within the exception, then yes, otherwise, not. There is no judicial discretion to allow a late claim that does not satisfy an exception.

A: The fact that your attorney states it's "highly unlikely" means either (a) that this is a claim subject to judicial discretion, which puts the "ball in the air," or (b) that your attorney doesn't know if the claim fits within an exception (which is quite possible).

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

socrateaser, Attorney
Experience: Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)