Marsha411JD, Attorney
Experience:  Licensed Atty, 28 yrs exp in the practice of law.
19127644

I got into a car wreck and had no insurance. My liscense is

Customer Question

I got into a car wreck and had no insurance. My liscense is suspended. The lawyer representing the other driver requested a suspension to the DMV. I don't have 5000 dollars to pay the other lawyer Can i ever get my liscense back? The lawyer refuses to even do a payment plan. I 'm considering bankruptcy
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 5 years ago.
HelloCustomer

There is a chance that you can get your license back if you now have the required insurance on your vehicle and present proof of insurance to the DMV. Based on the facts you provided, you license was suspended because of lack of insurance. It isn't clear from the information that you provided whether the other driver is going through his insurance company or not. Either way, his attorney is trying to collect for the damages and although, not necessarily reasonable to you, they want their money now versus a payment plan. You may or may not be a good candidate for bankruptcy. You should speak to a local bankruptcy attorney so they can evaluate your situation. If you're not a good candidate for bankruptcy then the other party can go forward to try to get a judgment for damages against you.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
They have already gotten a judgement against me. I'm really frustrated because no one can help me. Am i the only person in the world that has hit another car without insurance? I have a vehicle for 2 years now with insurance( full coverag) It'll take me years to pay off 5000 dollars. Am i just out of luck with my liscense till then? Do I have any other options besides bankruptcy?
Hello againCustomer

I apologize for the delay in my response to you, we had a little technical glitch here. You are right that you are not the only person in the world who has been involved in an at fault accident while not covered by insurance. That is actually why the laws were written requiring liability coverage. Too many people who were not at fault were having to shoulder the burden of medical bills and car repairs for accidents that they were not at fault for. As I said before, I believe you can get your license back now if you can show you are covered by insurance at the state limits. As far as other options for paying for the damage from the accident, there are still some issues to consider here. What kind of proof has the attorney presented to you as to the damages? I am assuming this hasn't gone to court. If it hasn't and they haven't presented sufficient reliable proof as to the damages, you have a right to see the proof and even get your own estimates. Until they get a judgment though, they can't garnish your wages or put liens on your property. If you can't find a way to negotiate a payment plan, and they take this to court, they still have to prove the damages and then, if they win, get the money from you. What kind of assets do you have? Do you work?