How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask NY/MA Attorney Your Own Question

NY/MA Attorney
NY/MA Attorney, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 16
Experience:  20 years experience practicing Bankruptcy law
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
NY/MA Attorney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Approximately 3 1/2 years ago, I filed for bankruptcy to eliminate

Resolved Question:

Approximately 3 1/2 years ago, I filed for bankruptcy to eliminate credit card debt. I do not remember what chapter is was, however, I did not have to pay anything back. Due to the bankruptcy, I learned that the home and auto loan I currently had were also discharged because the attorney did not fill out an application (I don't remember the name of it) to keep them. Since my payments were not helping my credit, I turned the car in and bought another one but still have my home (doublewide on a brick foundation). Which if I am correct, I can walk away from since that has been discharged as well. My step son has gotten in trouble and is in jail. Due to the amount of the bond, the only option is to put the property up to get him out. Now, if for some reason he does not go to court, I understand there will be a lien placed on the home by the county for the amount of the bond. If this were to happen & I then chose to walk away from the home would the lien follow me or the home?
Submitted: 5 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  NY/MA Attorney replied 5 years ago.
In answering this question I am going to assume that you own the land upon which your mobil home is located and that he home is permanently affixed thereto, and that you had a traditional Mortgage on the property. There are two issues concerning the debt on your home, 1. the Note which is your personal promise to repay the money and; 2, the Mortgage, which is the lender's security in case you don't repay the money. When you file for Chapter 7 bankruptcy your get personally discharged. That is another way of saying that you are forgiven of your personal obligation to pay bank the money under the Note. However, in a Chapter 7 the Mortgage goes through the bankruptcy unaltered, which is to say that the Lender still has a mortgage on your property. If you place a lien on the property for the purpose of securing release of your Son, the lien will be behind the first Mortgage. As long as you did not reaffirm your obligation under the Note when you filed for Chapter 7 you have no personal obligation to repay the money. However, the lender still has the right to foreclose on your home and sell it to someone else.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Great, I understand that and thanks for your response. But, I guess my main question is....if I put the property up to get him out of jail, and then he skips town and a lien is placed on the property, and I walk away from the obligation to live elsewhere, will that lien remain on my home that has been discharged or will it follow my credit?

Expert:  NY/MA Attorney replied 5 years ago.
You will have no obligation to repay the loan that you discharged in bankruptcy. The fact that there is a lien or a mortgage that gets foreclosed on may be reflected in your credit report, but you will never again have any obligation to repay that amount. With respect to your Son, it depends upon the paperwork that you sign.   If you agree to be personally liable then you will have an obligation. If you are just giving your property as security then you will not. If you have any questions about the nature of the agreement that you are entering into you need to show the paperwork that you are signing to an attorney and get specific legal advise. Nobody can give you advise about your obligations under a particular document without first reviewing the document.
NY/MA Attorney, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 16
Experience: 20 years experience practicing Bankruptcy law
NY/MA Attorney and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Last | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • FiveStarLaw


    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
< Last | Next >
  • FiveStarLaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • Phillips Esq.'s Avatar

    Phillips Esq.


    Satisfied Customers:

    B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • dylatess's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    35 plus years of experience specializing in bankruptcy law
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions