How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ellen Your Own Question
Ellen, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 36714
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Ellen is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i am disabled/schizophrenia and have 50k credit card debt -

Resolved Question:

i am disabled/schizophrenia and have 50k credit card debt - my income is only from ssd - what should i do?
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Do you have any assets?
What state do you reside in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Relist: No answer yet.
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Sorry you did not receive my prior response. I need to know what state you reside in to properly answer you.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
approx 3k checking/savings -ms, 39440 -thankyou
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.


Based on your situation, you will want to consider a Chapter 7 bankruptcy.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your unsecured debt such as credit cards, judgments and personal loans. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start.You appear to not lose any of your property due to the available exemptions.

Here are the exemptions for Mississippi:

Thank you,
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
my cc debts were accumulated during schizophrenic episodes - medication change - I do not want to go bankrupt - could you tell me hwo to find an advocate for the mentally ill in my area that could perhaps negotiate - thanks
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

You can argue that you were not competent at the time the charges were incurred and therefore they are not valid charges.

Here is a site that may assist you in locating competent legal counsel. click here

Please click accept so that the site releases payment to me for my services.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,

Ellen and 2 other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you