socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

Will filing Ch. 7 Bankruptcy in IL dispose of debts to the

Will filing Ch. 7 Bankruptcy in IL dispose of debts to the City of Chgo (parking tickets, boot & tow & storage fees,, the IL Tollway Auth. (missed tolls & fees), & State of IL (Drivers License reenstatement fees)? If not, can amount demanded by Chgo be mitigated to a lessor amount? Thanx.

Title 11 U.S.C. 523(a)(7) makes fines and penalties owed to a government unit nondischargable in bankruptcy. So a parking ticket would be nondischarable. However, a storage fee may be dischargeable because it is "compensation for pecuniary loss" under the bankruptcy code, i.e., there was an actual cost of storage incurred and the government seeks compensation.

Likewise, a missed toll may be dischargeable, but the penalty for missing would not. Drivers license reinstatement would be nondischargeable, because it's not in exchange for any pecuniary loss.

The short answer is that it depends on the exact nature of the government fee/penalty.

You may need to sit down with a bankruptcy lawyer and go through each charge to see what precedence may exist and whether the lawyer has specific experience with that particular charge.

For a lawyer referral, see:

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.