Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I AM CONSIDERING FILING BANKRUPCY. WHAT ALL AREAS DOES IT COVER.

I AM CONSIDERING FILING BANKRUPCY. WHAT ALL AREAS DOES IT COVER. DOES IT COVER DIVISION OF FUNDS FOR PROPERTY SETTLEMENTS SUCH AS CAH AWARDS FOR PROPERTY SETTLEMENTS ETC.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Bankruptcy does not discharge (erase) debt arising from a divorce. It does not discharge property settlements, spousal support nor child support. It will discharge personal liability on most other debts.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you. However, if I have not fully answered your question, please post me back on this thread with a clarification.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I HAVE BEEN ORDERED TO PAY 50% OF THE VALUE OF MY DISABILITY THAT I RECIEVE FROM OPERS. WE WERE ONLY MARRIED 10 OF THE 25 YEARS THAT I HAD PAID IN TO OPERS. FOR LIKE 7 YEARS OF THAT TIME I WAS DISABLED AND DRAWING A DISABILITY FROM THE SYSTEM.THE PAYMENT OF THE DISABILITY INCOME TO HER IS CONSIDERED PROPERTY SETTLEMENT FOR HER.
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Unfortunately a bankruptcy would not appear to assist in your situation.

Your settlement seems extremely excessive. Consider retaining a local attorney to have it appealed or modified.