VanDLaw
VanDLaw, Attorney
Experience:  Chapter 7 & 13
10801190

I am a minister and due to my chuech being closed by the District

I am a minister and due to my chuech being closed by the District Superintendant I was forced into bankruptcy. He is now holding my credentials hostage in an attempt to force me to pay an item taht was set aside by bankruptcy. I know that this is illegal. How can I get my credentials released?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 5 years ago.

HelloCustomer

Since this debt has been discharged by the bankruptcy court it cannot be collected legally. The superintendent is violating the bankruptcy code as he is affecting your employment. I would hire a lawyer to write him a letter, have the lawyer copy his superiors as well. What he is doing is completely wrong, but you need to get his attention. The next step would be to sue him, but I would try a letter first. As you said what he is doing is illegal and amounts to extortion, you should get legal assistance.

§ 525. Protection against discriminatory treatment
(b) No private employer may terminate the employment of, or discriminate with respect to employment against, an individual who is or has been a debtor under this title, a debtor or bankrupt under the Bankruptcy Act, or an individual associated with such debtor or bankrupt, solely because such debtor or bankrupt- (1) is or has been a debtor under this title or a debtor or bankrupt under the Bankruptcy Act; (2) has been insolvent before the commencement of a case under this title or during the case but before the grant or denial of a discharge; or (3) has not paid a debt that is dischargeable in a case under this title or that was discharged under the Bankruptcy Act.

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
When I go to the phone book the attorneys are catagorized. If I sue I believe I have grounds to sue for the return of the cost of our property. In what catagory should I look for an attorney that would advise me on this matter as well.
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 5 years ago.
You may be able to recover any lost wages due to the certification being withheld, and any other damages you incurred due to this violation. I would look for civil litigation, or an employment attorney.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In my first question the answer addressed a private employer. This District Superintendant is over all the churches on the Centraal Florida District, so I believe the answer I just paid for in not applicable.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
In my first question the answer addressed a private employer. This District Superintendant is over all the churches on the Centraal Florida District, so I believe the answer I just paid for is not applicable.
Expert:  VanDLaw replied 5 years ago.
No, he is considered a private employer, the other option is for a government employer. Either way, either employer cannot do what your Supervisor is doing.
VanDLaw, Attorney
Experience: Chapter 7 & 13