Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I lost a small claims court matter In Poughkeepsie, New York

Customer Question

I lost a small claims court matter In Poughkeepsie, New York because we couldn't show up on the date requested. They issued a Default judgement in the amount of $1600. I was told by an attorney on here that it wouldn't be filed until 30 days after, meaning I had 30 days to pay it before it effected my credit.

I recieved a notice today that The person that won the case has filed it with the dutchess county clerk's office, and that I have 30 days to pay before they file an income execution with the Dutchess county Sheriff office.

So does that mean this gets put on my credit immediately since they filed this with the county clerk's office? Even though I have 30 days to pay.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

The expert was likely referring to the fact that a judgment can be appealed for up to 30 days from the date it was rendered by the judge. Until then, the judgment is not completely final.

However, the judgment can be enrolled/filed with the clerk's office as soon as it is initially rendered. Also, it could be put on your credit after the initial filing, but whether or not it is depends on how often the creditors check these types of records - the credit bureaus are not automatically notified.

If you get the judgment paid before the garnishment/income execution begins, you should be fine.