socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

my husaband has a california contractors license. . however

my husaband has a california contractors license. . however we would like to file for bankrupcy we do not want to lose his contractors license if we incorporate first will that protect his license??. or will he have to get a new one if he files for personal bankrupcy?? also, what difference does it make if we file for incorporation in nevada or california

janie
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Reissuing the license to a corporation will not prevent your husband's license from being suspended, if he is personally disciplined by the CSLB. A contractor's license is personal, even if issued to a corporation, because if the qualifying officer leaves the corporation, then the corporation no longer has any authority as a contractor.

Hope this helps.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I'M SORRY SOMEHOW I LOST TRACK OF THIS ANSWER. ANYWAY, FOR CLARIFICATION SO I MAY ACCPEPT YOUR ANSWER, WILL HE LOSE HIS LICENSE AND HAVE TO STOP WORKING JUST BECAUSE HE FILES BANKRUPCY.
Expert:  socrateaser replied 6 years ago.
It's been 284 days, dear. If you can now read my previous answer, then please click accept, if you are satisfied with it, and I will be happy to answer your new question.

Thanks. For clarification, then, your husband will not automatically lose his license if he files for bankruptcy. He will lose his license if he CSLB determines that the bankruptcy has unreasonably injured one or more of your husband's customers -- presumably because your husband used the bankruptcy to avoid having to perform under a preexisting contract.

Hope this helps.