Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

We live in Texas and are facing foreclosure. I filed bankruptcy

Customer Question

We live in Texas and are facing foreclosure. I filed bankruptcy individually in 2005 and kept my wife out of it. It was discharged in 2007. Both my wife and myself signed the deed of trust on our home. We have funds coming in the next few months that will satisfy our mortgage but have run out of time with our lender. If my wife files bankruptcy individually will it suspend the foreclosure action?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Your wife can consider a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy would immediately stop the foreclosure action. It could permit you to set up a plan to reinstate your mortgage arrearages. In other words, it could allow you to pay the arrearage over a 5 year period.

It would be best to retain an attorney. If you cannot, you will want to purchase the forms on line and file them yourself prior to the sale. After you file the petition, you will need to notify the plaintiff.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,