Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I have a judgement of $135,000 against a woman that filed for

Customer Question

I have a judgement of $135,000 against a woman that filed for bk 13 the last day of our trial. the bk court allowed the civil court to finish and render a judgement. No while she is still in bk 13 she just appealed the judgment. The civil trial was with only a judge and no jurry. it was very clean and according to my attorney she has no justification to appeal. I need to respond to her objection to the judgment. Is there an attorney that can help me with this final step. she has the assets to pay the judgment.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
Because the debtor filed chapter 13, you have to abide by the bankruptcy code. The case is designed to protect any and all assets that they may have. You will receive a proof of claim form and a copy of the debtor's plan from the court. You need to file a claim with the court, with your supporting documents. You will be paid based on the type of debt that you have, if unsecured, you may not be paid for a few years (secured, then priority debt like taxes, then unsecured is paid.) If she appealed, you have to defend the appeal. You should work with the attorney who got the judgment for you, as they are familiar with the case.