Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

hello I lost my job in the states because my boss retired

Customer Question

I lost my job in the states because my boss retired and sold his Restaurant.And because he sold it I lost my Application for my new visa I was legal in the states and was going to apply for my next visa.So I had to leave the States what I did but I already built my life there and also had 3 Creditcards witch I also use so but now I am not able to pay them back because I dont have a job now and lost my existence so I want to file bankruptcy can you help me in my case?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
IF you are here legally, you are eligible for bankruptcy protection. If you are not in the country legally, then you should wait to file until after you resolve the matter. I have seen INS agents arrest people right after their meeting, since the hearing is mandatory. If you have left the US for more than 90 days, you can write to the creditors and inform them of the situation, and have them close the accounts. You can then pay off the balance, and your might not need to even file.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I think I misdescribed my situation
As soon as I found out that I lost my legal status, because my Boss sold his place, I left the States.
Of course I lost my job as well. I moved to another country and have no job so far, which means that until now I have used my saving to make minimum payments on my credit cards. Of course I closed the accounts already, but by now my savings are gone as well and I can not afford to pay these bills any longer.
That is why I though about filing for bankruptcy. Is there a better solution you can suggest?
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
Well, since you have relocated out of the country, you would need to file there, or else, re-establish residency in the US to file here. You can try entering into a debt settlement, or else debt consolidation to pay down the debts. There are numerous programs out there, if you can no longer work with your current lenders.