Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Law With An Accounting Degree - 13 + years as civil lawyer

We received an adversary motion against us to repay an auto

We received an adversary motion against us to repay an auto loan for a surrendered vehicle. How do we file a reconsideration of motion with the Northern District Court of Georgia and how do we respond to a motion for a relief of stay
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 years ago.
Need a little more background information please. Who are the parties listed in the adversary proceeding. Is the creditor suing the debtor to repay an auto loan that was listed in the BK. Is it a chapter 7 or 13? Are you the debtor? What is the creditors alleged grounds for lifting the stay. What does the adversary proceeding say generally?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Who are the parties listed in the adversary proceeding.

Debtors - Donald and Melody Baker
Jeffrey K. Kerr, Trustee

Is the creditor suing the debtor to repay an auto loan that was listed in the BK.
yes, in a chapter 7.
Is it a chapter 7 or 13? Are you the debtor? Chapter 7

What is the creditors alleged grounds for lifting the stay. We returned the car so we did not attend the motion as advised by a paralegal

What does the adversary proceeding say generally?

Fidelity Bank seeks to remove the automatic stay for the Kia Sedona so they can obtain the difference owed plus repairs when the sell the reposessed vehicle. The motion was granted and then modified indicating we are required to pay the court the difference not the bank. We would like to request reconsideration of the motion granted April 22,2009.
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 years ago.

Okay so please confirm you have received an order from the BK court dated 4/22/09 granting Fidelity's motion to lift stay and granting their motion that you pay the court the difference? Is there an amount listed. What is your basis for asking for a reconsideration. The reason I am asking is typically in a chapter 7 bankruptcy your auto loan deficiency will be discharged.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Okay so please confirm you have received an order from the BK court dated 4/22/09 granting Fidelity's motion to lift stay and granting their motion that you pay the court the difference?

Confirmed

Is there an amount listed.

No amount listed on the order. We received a letter from Fidelity stating we could pay them an amount of $11,561.63 if we desired to satisfy the loan.

What is your basis for asking for a reconsideration. The reason I am asking is typically in a chapter 7 bankruptcy your auto loan deficiency will be discharged.

We were advised we did not need to appear at the court to challenge the motion for relief of stay. So we did not attend and the motion was awarded against us. The car was in very very poor condition and is not valued at the amount claimed by the bank. We advised our trustee of its condition at our bk hearing. We request reconsideration of decision based on the amount suggested we repay by Fidelity and for poor legal advice from a paralegal
Expert:  Maverick replied 4 years ago.

Okay here's what I am finding out and it doesn't look to be too favorable (sorry); I am citing cases with support law so you can review the law as well.

First the motion to lift stay probably does not need a response as it is too late. The court has already made an order for a deficiency judgment as it would appear. Fidelity had to file the motion to lift stay first before they could get the deficieny order.

Next, in In re International Fibercom, Inc., 503 F.3d 933, 944 (9th Cir. 2007) , the court held that "Under Rule 59(a), made applicable to bankruptcy proceedings by Federal Rules of Bankruptcy Procedure 9023, a court has discretion to reopen a judgment if one has been entered, take additional testimony, amend findings of fact and conclusions of law, or make new findings and conclusions [citations omitted]. . . ."

Next relevant law:

In re Captain Blythers, Inc., 311 B.R. 530 (9th Cir. B.A.P. 2004), aff'd, 182 Fed. Appx. 708 (2006). the court said that the rules do not recognize a motion for reconsideration. Since the motion in question was brought within 10 days of entry of judgment, it is considered a motion to amend findings under Rule 52, or a motion to alter or amend judgment under Rule 59.

"There are three grounds for granting new trials under 59(a)(2):
1. Manifest error of law,
2. Manifest error of fact, and
3. Newly discovered evidence

See Brown v. Wright, 588 F.2d 708, 710 (9th Cir. 1978) (citing 6A Moore's Federal Practice at ¶59.07 at 59-94).

It appears that you have to file a Rule 59 or Rule 52 motion with in 10 days of the order.

Since it appear that that time is passed, you may have a shot at it as a motion for relief from judgment under Bankr. Rule 9024 and Civ. Rule 60. A Civ. Rule 60 motion "is addressed to the sound discretion of the trial court." Nat'l Petrochemical Co. of Iran v. M/T Stolt Sheaf, 930 F.2d 240, 244 (2d Cir. 1991).

Civ. Rule 60(b) lists six grounds upon which a court may relieve a party from a final

judgment:

(1) mistake, inadvertence, surprise, or excusable neglect;

(2) newly discovered evidence which by due diligence could not have been

discovered in time to move for a new trial under Rule 59(b);

(3) fraud (whether heretofore denominated intrinsic or extrinsic), misrepresentation,

or other misconduct of an adverse party;

(4) the judgment is void;

(5) the judgment has been satisfied, released, or discharged, or a prior judgment upon

which it is based has been reversed or otherwise vacated, or it is no longer

equitable that the judgment should have prospective application; or

(6) any other reason justifying relief from the operation of the judgment.

Thus you will need to file a Rule 60 motion and prove one or more of these basis for getting the BK court's order in favor of Fidelity reversed.

Please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for my work. We can continue our conversation after this at no additional charge. Thank you for the opportunity to assist you.

Maverick, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy Law With An Accounting Degree - 13 + years as civil lawyer