Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

Hi. my question is about chapter 11 bankruptcy and stocks of

Hi. my question is about chapter 11 bankruptcy and stocks of the company.                                             &n bsp;                                                                                                                                               If a company emerges from chap 11 they can have 2 different ticker symbols of there common stock if i beleive(one would be the stock symbol before they filed for chap 11 and the other would be the newer one after they restruture. correct me if im wrong) mainly i would like to know if that is true if they need to keep 2 ticker symbols or if they can use the same one(before chap11).
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

The old ticker symbol is usually reinstated after the company emerges from the Chapter 11.

Typically when a publicly traded company enters a Chapter 11 bankruptcy, it receives a new ticker symbol. That symbol is typically the old symbol with a "q" added. Only the stock with the new symbol trades during the Chapter 11. When the company emerges from the Chapter 11, the "q" drops off and the old symbol is reinstated.

I hope that this helps.