Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

hello, i have been under workers comp for over a year. I have

Customer Question

hello, i have been under worker's comp for over a year. I have credit card company filed a civil suit in court against me. I live in the state of georgia provides protection from worker's comp wages from garnishment. My question is should i seek legal counsel or just get medical records and doctor statements to show the court. I do not anthing but several cars valued at $8000.00 total. I have only $1500.00 in the bank. Thank you.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 years ago.

It is always a good idea to have legal counsel. However you can obtain copies of your medical records and doctor's statements to show to the Court.

You also need to make sure that you answer the lawsuit because some of the things the credit card company may say in the lawsuit may not be accurate. You need to file an answer to the complaint so that you can point this out to the Court.

Here is a good web site, which has lots of information on defending a collection lawsuit:

http://www.nedap.org/hotline/defenses.html

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
thank you atty. phillips, i will ask for you in the future. i don't know your first intial, i don't know if i need it to ask for you in the future. Thanks.
Thank you.

Kindly address your future questions to Attn: AttorneyPhillips. You do not need my middle initial, which is "M" to post questions to my attention. You can just go to my profile and click on "AttorneyPhillips" and then post your question.

Goodluck with your case.