socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)
10097515

Extension of previouly answered question Previous answer by

Extension of previouly answered question: Previous answer by Terry L.   Since oil royalties will be reviewed for forfieture during bankruptcy (Chpt. 7), if these oil royalties ownership is recorded as belonging to "Barber family Trust"with myself and my wife, and our three adult children as owners and we as Trutee's. a) how does this division of assets breakout for forfeiture when my wife and I only, may be involved in the bankruptcy???, and b) we have previously reorded a "homestead declaration which for senior citizens like us, has protection up to $125,000 ??.Please explain this credit protection??.   If these oil royalties income are projected for future years (25yrs)??, how does this "home owners" protection distribute for our possible debits in bankruptcy??

a) how does this division of assets breakout for forfeiture when my wife and I only, may be involved in the bankruptcy???,

A1: If the assets were transferred to this family trust more than two years before the bankruptcy filing, then the asset would be considered not part of the bankruptcy estate. Otherwise, the bankruptcy trustee can avoid the transfer of the assets and use them to satisfy your creditors.

Note: You characterize your adult children as "owners" of the trust. Trusts don't have owners, they have settlors/trustors/grantors, trustees and benficiaries. If your children were actually grantors of the trust, then assuming that your interest in the trust property is reachable, then to the extent that your childrens' interests are separate (not a joint tenancy), then that portion of the asset would not be reachable by the bankruptcy trustee.

Also, depending upon the specific language of your trust, and the amount to which you may have retained "incidences of ownership" in your trust (revocabiliity, trustee removal, etc.), it is possible that your trust assets could be reached, unless it was originated as an "irrevocable trust." This would be a tricky analysis and could create some expensive litigation in bankruptcy court, if the bankruptcy trustee wanted to reach your trust assets.

b) we have previously recorded a "homestead declaration which for senior citizens like us, has protection up to $125,000 ??.Please explain this credit protection??.

A2: $150,000 in CA for 65 or older where debtor or spouse lives in property. It means if your equity in the home (fair market value minus amounts owed) is $150,000 or less, then the house cannot be sold by the bankruptcy court to satisfy your creditors.

c) If these oil royalties income are projected for future years (25yrs)??, how does this "home owners" protection distribute for our possible debits in bankruptcy??

A3: There is no exemption for royalty income. If you file bankrupty and the royalties are deemed reachable by the bankrutpcy court, then the royalties become part of your bankruptcy estate and they are available to satsify your creditors' claims. The bankruptcy court would order the royalty rights liquidated and the proceeds would be used to satisfy the creditors.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.