Maverick
Maverick, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Law With An Accounting Degree - 13 + years as civil lawyer
16823287

Citibank Mastercard - 3 fraudulent charges made by a merchant

Customer Question

Citibank Mastercard - 3 fraudulent charges made by a merchant in Cape Town South Africa - one for $52, one for $650 and the third for $1895. The first two were settled with the third still outstanding after one year. Call after call to Citibank Mastercard the story is that the third disputed charge is waiting a "goodwill" reply from the Merchant, the Merchant's bank or both...a different story each time I call them. The reason this charge is still pending is due to the late filing of the dispute by Citi with the merchant bank. They say that the decision on whether I will be refunded the amount depends on the answer from the merchant, the merchant bank or both. I have supplied Citi with over 40 pages of information about this...the merchant is a criminal...I have told them to Google "AROKAN" to verify that this merchant has repeatedly done this to other victims...I gave them the name of the merchant's credit card processing firm to contact as well. The issue remains unresolved.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.
What state are you located in?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

My official residence is Houston, TX, but since I work overseas, my mailing address for invoices/statements is c/o my daughter, who lives in Seattle, WA.

Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

It appears that since a year has gone by and you have already sent them information in writing, you will need to take this to the next level. If your credit card company is does a lot of business in the state where you reside, then you can go to the local court house and file a lawsuit against it in small claims court if you do not incurr the expense of an attorney.

One more demand letter to the credit card company stating that if they do not resolve this matter in the next 7 days, you will file suit may do the trick b/c they will have to weigh in the cost of incurring attorney's fees as a corporation cannot represent itself in most courts. You should send this letter cerf mail ret. rec.

You claims against them would be for negligence and possibly breach of contract depending on the exact language of the credit agreement concerning the procedures for and their respective duties in connection with a reported fraud.

Please click ACCEPT so I can get credit for my work. We can continue our conversation after this at no additional charge.

Maverick, Attorney
Experience: Bankruptcy Law With An Accounting Degree - 13 + years as civil lawyer
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Thanks.
Expert:  Maverick replied 5 years ago.

If you have a f/up question please feel free to write back. Good luck.