Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

Im filing a do it yourself bankruptcy in Wisconsin and mailed

I'm filing a do it yourself bankruptcy in Wisconsin and mailed the forms today; Yesterday I received word that one of my creditors has filed a civil suit on a credit card, although I have not been officially served or notified yet. How does my filing affect this law suit?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 years ago.

The lawsuit will be suspended subject to the conclusion of your bankruptcy case. If your bankruptcy case is successful, that is if you are granted a discharge, the lawsuit will be dismissed.

You need to make sure that the debt is listed in your bankruptcy schedule. You also need to make sure that as soon as you get the complaint to inform the attorney for the credit card company that you have filed for bankruptcy protection. In addition, you need to inform the Court while responding to the complaint that you have sought for bankruptcy protection and need the case to be suspended pending the outcome of your bankruptcy case.