Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I know that if you write a bad check, it is a felony crimel.

Customer Question

I know that if you write a bad check, it is a felony crimel. The check was for $10,000. I am filinng bankrupy next monthl . Will the $10,000 check be discharged, and if so, will I stiill face criminal charges for writing a bad check?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
Criminal debts are not dischargeable in bankruptcy. You may still face criminal charges, and may owe restitution, which is not dischargeable.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
So are you telling me that if I wrote a bad check for $10,000, that I cannot include that in my list of debts when I file bankruptcy?

What is the difference between that debt and any other debt I have, like credit card charges that I cannot pay?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Still waiting for a reply.