How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31657
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If a company e.g., Idearc Media, files chapter 13 and no longer

This answer was rated:

If a company e.g., Idearc Media, files chapter 13 and no longer provides internet advertising, am I - the advertiser -obligated to pay the remainder of the year's contract.
If the company cannot provide the service you're paying for, it has breached the contract. Because of the breach, you're allowed to cancel the contract and are relieved of any obligation to pay.
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
Is this at all dependent on the states involved? I believe Idearc is a texas-based company and I am in NJ. I am about to sign a year's contract for on-line super pages advertising. As long as I am not obligated to continue payment if they should disappear, I feel confident to sign.

The state would matter in the event suit were filed. However, you're just talking about general contract principles which will apply practically the same in all states.


The botXXXXX XXXXXne is if the company goes under and can't provide you the service, you're not obligated to pay.

Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 8 years ago.

No problem.