Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

If a company e.g., Idearc Media, files chapter 13 and no longer

If a company e.g., Idearc Media, files chapter 13 and no longer provides internet advertising, am I - the advertiser -obligated to pay the remainder of the year's contract.
If the company cannot provide the service you're paying for, it has breached the contract. Because of the breach, you're allowed to cancel the contract and are relieved of any obligation to pay.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Is this at all dependent on the states involved? I believe Idearc is a texas-based company and I am in NJ. I am about to sign a year's contract for on-line super pages advertising. As long as I am not obligated to continue payment if they should disappear, I feel confident to sign.

The state would matter in the event suit were filed. However, you're just talking about general contract principles which will apply practically the same in all states.

The botXXXXX XXXXXne is if the company goes under and can't provide you the service, you're not obligated to pay.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

No problem.