TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

pnc bank put a judgement on me and i was never was served no

pnc bank put a judgement on me and i was never was served no court papers isnt that illegal and how can i get the jungement off me and how long does it take im selling my house and the closing in two weeks that how i found out the title company wont release my title
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “pnc bank put a judgement on me and i was never was served no court papers isnt that illegal and how can i get the jungement off me and how long does it take im selling my house and the closing in two weeks that how i found out the title company wont release my title”

Answer: It’s possible to legally get a judgment even if the defendant hasn’t been served if the plaintiff jumps through a few hoops. For example, if the plaintiff can’t find you after a reasonable effort, and notified you via publication, or mailed a copy to your last known address then it may be able to get the judgment. The good news is that you can usually have the judgment removed if you file a motion to vacate the judgment and explain that you were never served. Prior to filing such a motion, I would go to the courthouse and review the case in its entirety (it will explain why the lawsuit was able to move forward even if you weren’t personally served). After you find out the reason the case moved forward, you can address it in your motion to vacate.

If the judge grants the motion, then the lien will be lifted pending a new trial. The problem is that it may not be lifted in two weeks. In addition, the judge may put a freeze on any proceeds you get from the sale of the house so the funds can be used to pay the judgment if PNC wins at trial again.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the state of Maryland. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
so can i try to call pnc bank and make sometype of deal and get the jungement off by two weeks if i pay them some money
Customer: replied 8 years ago.
and how long can a jugement stay on me
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.
Yes, you can always work out a deal if PNC is willing to go along with it. Just contact them and ask. A judment is collectable for 20 years, so if you work something out then that would probably be a good idea.