Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

i have been served an order to go to small claims court in

i have been served an order to go to small claims court in Kenosha Wisconsin . This is an unpaid debt of 3615.78 froma debt collection law firm..I think it is a credit card debt. I called..they said too late to make any payments.. I have lost everything..I don't own property car ira's 401's and I have no job I made under 8,000. for the past 4 years.. what will happen in court..I have no money..will I go to jail?
If you don't fight the suit, they will get a judgment against you. If you have no assets and no income, then you are basically judgment proof, meaning that they can't collect on the judgment. If you have money in the bank, they might be able to get that. A chapter 7 can help, it will stop the lawsuit,and discharge that debt in about 90 days, giving you peace of mind and allowing you to get a fresh start.