TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

I am about to have wage garnishment go through. I am planning

I am about to have wage garnishment go through. I am planning on setting up a pymt plan before the garnishment actually goes through. Once I have this payment plan in place, will I be able to claim this on a bankruptcy?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 8 years ago.

Hello and thank you for allowing me the opportunity to assist you.

Question: “I am about to have wage garnishment go through. I am planning on setting up a pymt plan before the garnishment actually goes through. Once I have this payment plan in place, will I be able to claim this on a bankruptcy?”

Answer: Most definitely. Generally speaking, you can be discharged of all your debts (with some exceptions for things like student loans and certain kinds of taxes, etc.), and the fact that you voluntarily arranged a payment plan with the creditor will not remove your ability to have the debt discharged. Basically, the only kind of arrangement that will prevent the debt from being discharged is if you “reaffirm” the debt after the bankruptcy is filed.

Have I satisfactorily addressed your concerns? If not, then please feel free to ask for clarification.

If the information that I provided was helpful, then please remember to click the green accept button so that I will receive credit and compensation for my time. Positive feedback is always appreciated as well. Thank you and good luck!

.

DISCLAIMER: Please understand that the complexities of most legal problems cannot be adequately addressed in this setting, and that I am only licensed to practice law in the state of Maryland. Accordingly, you acknowledge (1) that we have not formed an attorney-client relationship, and (2) that my post is general information only and not specific legal advice.