socrateaser, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney and Real Estate Broker -- Retired (mostly)

I filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy on October 15, 2005, just

I filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy on October 15, 2005, just before the changes were made to bankruptcy law. I was entitled to a discharge on February 23, 2006. I filed for bankruptcy per se. One of the creditors I listed was the Philadelphia Traffic Court. I listed this creditor on the Schedule F paperwork when I filed. Last spring, I had to go to Philadelphia Traffic Court for another matter and the judge asked me about the past due balance I had with the court. He did not know I listed this balance on my bankruptcy paperwork. I told him I did so and showed him a copy of the Schedule F paperwork. He didn't know what to do. He turned to an attorney in the court room who claimed to be a "bankruptcy expert" and the attorney said I couldn't have the balance charged off because I listed it under Schedule F, Creditors Holding Unsecured Nonpriority Claims. I paid off the balance out of my own pocket that day. Was this attorney right? If he wasn't, how do I go get my money back?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  socrateaser replied 7 years ago.

Traffic fines are nondischarable in bankruptcy. (see 11 U.S.C. 523(a)(7)).

Where you listed it on the petition schedules is irrelevant.

Terms and Conditions: By your continuing in this conversation with me, or by your clicking “Accept”, you are expressly agreeing to all of the following: (1) our communication is for entertainment purposes only; (2) you are not consulting me in my professional capacity as an attorney; (3) you do not seek to establish an attorney-client relationship with me, nor do I with you; (4) you will not rely on anything I say and you will obtain appropriate legal counsel via a traditional/office consultation with an attorney licensed to practice in the jurisdiction where your legal issue arises (and you may not use our communication to avoid taxpayer penalties imposed by the U.S. Dept. of Treasury); (5) by communicating with me in this public forum you are irrevocably waiving any right to privacy, confidentiality and attorney-client privilege concerning the matters discussed. You further separately declare that any payment made by you is not consideration for this contract, nor offered for any services rendered by me on your behalf, but rather is made in genuine admiration and respect for my desire to help others. If you do not agree with these terms and conditions, then you must advise me immediately.