How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Terry L. Your Own Question
Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 2844
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Terry L. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

What are my options to recoup deposit money paid to a restaurant

Resolved Question:

What are my options to recoup deposit money paid to a restaurant for my daughters wedding reception. The restaurant has filed for bankrupcy and I am out of a venue, and it seems my downpayment as well. (Total amount paid = $7000.00)
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
You can file a proof of claim in the bankruptcy. If there are assets to be liquidated, you would get a percentage of them.
You may also have the option to file an adversary objection in the bankrutpcy case to determine your debt to be non-dischargeable. You would need to show that your debt would qualify, possibly for wrongful conversion of the funds, or for fraud in the application etc. Bring your contract to a local attorney and they can review the options you have, along with the possible objections under the bankruptcy code that you can try to claim.
Terry L. and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you

Related Bankruptcy Law Questions