Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

What are my options to recoup deposit money paid to a restaurant

What are my options to recoup deposit money paid to a restaurant for my daughters wedding reception. The restaurant has filed for bankrupcy and I am out of a venue, and it seems my downpayment as well. (Total amount paid = $7000.00)
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
You can file a proof of claim in the bankruptcy. If there are assets to be liquidated, you would get a percentage of them.
You may also have the option to file an adversary objection in the bankrutpcy case to determine your debt to be non-dischargeable. You would need to show that your debt would qualify, possibly for wrongful conversion of the funds, or for fraud in the application etc. Bring your contract to a local attorney and they can review the options you have, along with the possible objections under the bankruptcy code that you can try to claim.