Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

I have filed for chapter 7 in 2000 in New Mexico. I had tried

I have filed for chapter 7 in 2000 in New Mexico. I had tried to discharge a student loan through wells fargo . They charged it off, but now another company collection is trying to collect, what is the statues of limitation and what can I do?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 8 years ago.
In 2000, Student loans were not dischargeable in bankruptcy unless you filed an adversary case against them during your bankruptcy proceeding. Therefore, you will need to work out a repayment agreement with them if you did not, since they are normally non-dischargeable. I don't know why it took them this long to collect on the debt. Since you were making payments, that tolled any statute of limitations.