Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

I am being sued by Citibank for $2382.84.

Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Based on your situation, you will want to consider a Chapter 7 bankruptcy. The assets that you may retain in a bankruptcy depend upon the Chapter bankruptcy you file and the state exemptions.

As an individual, there are two types of bankruptcy available. A Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13. There are distinct differences in between a Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your unsecured debt such as credit cards, judgments and personal loans. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start. However, you may have to surrender assets that exceed your exemption.

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a repayment plan for an individual. It may require that you repay some of your unsecured credit card debt over a 3 -5 year period. However, you may retain assets that exceed your exemption.

Here are the exemptions for Georgia:
http://www.bankruptcyinformation.com/GE_exemp.htm