Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

My girlfriend just received her chapter 7 discharge notice

My girlfriend just received her chapter 7 discharge notice which we assumed would release her from 2 properties she included here in CA. It appears that she is still on the title to both, how can she get released? She does not want to be held liable should anything happen at one of the properties - thank you.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
The bankruptcy discharges the debts for the mortgages, it does not transfer title. To get her name off of the title, the lender will either have to foreclose, or send an offer of a deed in lieu of foreclosure. She can also sell the property, or she can quitclaim (transfer) it to someone else, such as a co-owner.