Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.

I filed bankruptcy in 2005, I was told that my property was

I filed bankruptcy in 2005, I was told that my property was to remain mine. Then the Trustee sold it to another attorney who sent me a letter for me to pay the property taxes on it. I was never informed, asked to sign over anything or received a judges final approval for this action. Did they have the right to do this?
Submitted: 7 years ago via USLaw.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
You should have received information regarding this in your case.
IF there is unprotected equity in the asset, the trustee does have the right to sell the property to pay your creditors with the proceeds. If the property was sold, then you would not have to pay the property taxes on it, the bankruptcy estate would resolve any balances owed during the sale. The trustee does have to file a final asset report with the court and bring a motion to allow the sale etc.
Something doesn't sound quite right here, perhaps you don't have all the information involved. You should go to your lawyers office and sit down and have them walk you thru the entire transaction. You can also try calling the trustee, however they might not give you much information. best of luck