Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.

I am a 65 years old married man who was recently laid off.

I am a 65 years old married man who was recently laid off. I have applied for Social Security and Florida Un-employed compensation both of which will not cover the minimums on my credit cards and other fixed monthly expenses such as car payments, health insurance, monthly maintenance for my town house, etc. etc. I have four credit cards that are maxed out. One card is Jointly held by my wife and I. My question is would it be possible for me to file for banckruptcy protection on just three of the four cards in order to avoid dragging my wife into the process? Thank you for your assistance.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 7 years ago.
No. When you file for bankruptcy protection you have to list all the debts that you have including the debts that you have with someone else.

You can still file bankruptcy without your wife. However, the creditor on the jointly held credit card would then come after your wife for the payment. Since the debt is jointly held, the fact of your bankruptcy filing on the joint debt might show up on your wife's credit report.

Best wishes,