Andrea Ray
Andrea Ray, Attorney
Experience:  Over 5 years experience in consumer and commercial bankruptcy law, Chapters 7 13 and 11
12714316

I have credit card debt that is seperate from my husband.All

I have credit card debt that is seperate from my husband.All of that debt is in my name only.He does not know about this. I want to file bancruptcy seperate. We do not have any assets.The two cars are leased,house paid off and I do not have a steady income because I am self employed. Once I file , what are the chances the credit card companies come after my husband?Would that make sense even they are no assets?For how long of a timeframe do I have to be worried if they came after my husband?None of the debt is delinquent.We live in Texas.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Andrea Ray replied 7 years ago.
They cannot pursue your husband whether you file for bankruptcy or not, if all of the debt was in your name only. They can only pursue you and your assets. If the house is in your name, either solely or in joint, they may be able to put a lien on it. However I seem to recall that homestead propety is exempt from attachment in Texas. It doesn't sound like they can pursue anything you have - they will just bug the heck out of you about it.