Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

The county tax assesors office filed an escape assessment on

The county tax assesors office filed an escape assessment on my home in one lump sum creating a large tax bill to the degree that I may . suffer a default with the lien holder. I have been in my Sacto home for 38 years. I had a severe problem in '93 and extended family helped in the refi to save my home. But at the last moment during the refi (they were jointly assisting & and would be on title) the bank required me to relinquish my interest. I had to quit claim off title but remained in the home with all the usual responsibilities. I paid the mortgage payments, taxes upkeep later in 2003 refi'd the home to remove extended family back to sole ownership. Seven years to the day the county hit me with this assessment to the sum of $6000. I lost my tax exemptions, etc. my tax bill is huge for the property type. The lender paid the recent lump sum and now wants me to pay it. I have been attempting to get the tax collector to back off showing proof of continuous ownership since '68. Help?

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

Absent a voluntary forebearance agreement/loan modification with the lender and/or tax collector, a Chapter 13 appears to be your only alternative.

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy could permit you to set up a plan to pay the arrearage over a 5 year period.

It would be best to retain an attorney. If this is not possible, you can purchase the forms and file the petition yourself.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER