Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.
9968427

If I file bankruptcy for my credit card debt ( in my name only)

If I file bankruptcy for my credit card debt ( in my name only) will my wife and I be able to keep our home (registered in both names) without selling it now.                      E Markel
What state do you reside in?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
In Penna.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your credit card debt. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start.

In Pennsylvania, you can choose either the federal or the PA exemptions. PA does not provide a homestead exemption. However the federal exemptions provide a $17,450 homestead exemption per person. The exemption is calculated on the amount that the value of your home exceeds the mortgage.

Typically if the house is in both your name and your wife's name, it will not be lost in a bankruptcy that only you file.

Legal Aid can assist you. I suggest that you give them a try. If they will not represent you, you can try to file on your own. However, I caution you that it would be in your best interests to be represented as bankruptcy law is very complex.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Best wishes for a successful outcome. If you have additional questions, please do not hesitate to submit them to me directly.

Thank you,
FLAandNYLAWYER