JoeLawyer
JoeLawyer, Attorney
Experience:  Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
2990824

I am, for reasons to complicated to explain here, filing bankruptcy

I am, for reasons to complicated to explain here, filing bankruptcy but I cannot file until 2011. I have a lawyer who is heading off the calls for payments, and I appreciate that but he is a short tempered individual and apparently doesn't want to hear from me until it is time to file, even tho I have already sent him a third of his fee. Anyway I hope you can answers some of my questions that he is too busy or too rude to answer. I am terrified, I got a summons for small claims court and I was told by him just don't go to court and that was it...not wanting to infuriate him further and being a mild mannered person , I was flabberghasted and was so upset that he was yelling at me that I couldn't ask him another thing. The court hearing was yesterday and I did not go. Today I got a judgement against me with a Payment Review scheduled for 4/9/09 and it says that if I don't go I MAY have an arrest warrant issued against me...Can I go to jail, or is this just a scare tactic? Thanks
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  JoeLawyer replied 7 years ago.
Rosie:

It is not a scare tactic: the Payment Review hearing, called a "proceeding supplemental" in some States, is a hearing to which the defendant is ordered to appear to discuss how the judgment will be paid. Failure to appear can constitute contempt of court for disobeying the order to appear, and this you can be arrested for the contempt.

So, normally defendants HAVE to appear at these hearings and discus how much they can afford to pay toward the judgment. Many defendants attend the hearing and tell the judge they can afford $20/mo, $50/mo, $100/mo, etc, as the case my be, and then set up payments in that amount. The payments can end when the defendant actually files their bankruptcy case.

I hope this helps and a positive feedback is always appreciated if this was useful to you.

LEGAL NOTICE: I am only licensed to practice law in certain state(s) and I cannot give legal advice to someone who does not reside in a state in which I am licensed, nor shall anything I say in the above answer or elsewhere on this site be deemed legal advice, even to someone who resides in a state in which I am licensed. Fees I receive for answering questions are paid for information, not for legal advice. This forum is designed to provide general information only, and information herein is not warranted to be correct or applicable in any way since laws may have been misinterpreted herein, since laws change from time to time, and since the impact of those laws on any particular situation varies. The information presented in this site shall not be construed to be formal legal advice nor the formation of an attorney-client relationship. Persons accessing this response are encouraged to seek independent legal counsel in their jurisdiction for guidance regarding their individual circumstances. Do not take any action or inaction based on information presented herein since it is informational and may not be accurate or applicable to you; it merely attempts to give you a basis of knowledge to help you formulate questions to ask a legal or other professional in a face-to-face meeting in your jurisdiction. Joseph Ross does not hold himself out to be a specialist or expert in any area, regardless of assertions made by any third party, and any implication of being an expert or specialist herein is made in error. I hope the information presented above is useful to you. Answer above is (c) Joseph Ross. All rights reserved.