Andrea Ray
Andrea Ray, Attorney
Experience:  Over 5 years experience in consumer and commercial bankruptcy law, Chapters 7 13 and 11

im not trying to file not even sure im asking

i'm not trying to file not even sure im asking the right expert...but... i was working a few years ago, had a a few credit cards..i became disabled and no longer able to work.. i was eventually able to pay off all my cards but one.. which i totally forgot about til recently because i just got a letter from an attorney..its for one thousand dollars.. im not able to pay that all at once and they dont seem to be willing to work with me for payments....can they take me to court even if i am disabled and unable to pay in full?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Andrea Ray replied 7 years ago.
Yes, they can take you to court and obtain a judgment on it. Collecting on the judgment is a different story though. They cannot take your social security payments. If you own real property, they would be able to put a lien on it so that you couldn't sell it without paying that judgment. If you have a bunch of money in a bank account they might be able to attach it, but that is probably not the case since you say you cannot pay it all at once. But they may go ahead and take you to court, because they have time limits on enforcing their rights, so they have to go ahead and sue to protect their rights.