Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I would like to pay off a civil judgment against me, insuring

Customer Question

I would like to pay off a civil judgment against me, insuring my payment will prevent any future claims or liability. FYI The judgment was about 6 months ago. My attorney failed to tell me deadlines for retrial. He was supposed to file documents for appeal that have not been filed. Now I have received notice of a lien...How do I take care of this?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

You will want to contact the lien holder and arrange a general release in exchange for payment in full. The general release form can be purchased at a local legal supply store. The general release states that any and all claims that the lien holders may have against you are released in exchange for the payment.