Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

Bankruptcy after judgements

Can you tell me if I can file bankruptcy after I have credit card judgements against me? Also can you tell me if I file bankruptcy do I have to show them all my assets and all my personal property? Do they check all my assets and all my bank accounts in all banks?What is worse bankrupty or credit card judgements?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

Yes, you can file bankruptcy after any judgment, including credit card judgments.

Yes, you have to fully disclose all of your property and assets if you file bankruptcy.

Bankruptcy is worse because it stays on your credit report for 7-10 years, while judgments will usually stay on there for 3-7 years. Either is not good. However, if you don't file bankruptcy, the creditors will begin to try and garnish your wages, freeze bank accounts, etc. This may be enough harassment to force you to file.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I heard that judgements can stay forever since they can be renewed. Is that true?Do they actually check all my assets and all my bank accounts in all banks and go to my house and check my personal belongings?
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

They can't stay on forever - they can be renewed one time after the initial judgment time has lapsed.

You will be required to list all of your assets. If you don't do so, you can be charged with perjury and actually jailed! Thus, it is not a good idea to try to conceal anything - because the trustee will likely find out.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Ok I understand but do they actually go to your house and check what you have or take your property?
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.
No. You'll be required to provide an accounting.