Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

my credit report shows where they discharged my state tax lien

Customer Question

my credit report shows where they discharged my state tax lien but they are now garnishing my wages for the same lien what can i do. i have the case number XXXXX all my papers that shows it
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 7 years ago.
To be dischargeable, the general rule for income tax dischargability is that they must have been 3 years old, filed on time and accurate when you filed the bankruptcy. If late filed, or corrected, that must have been done 2 years before you file bankruptcy.

If it meets the dischargeability rules, then you should notify the state, give them a copy of the bankruptcy filing, and confirm that they are discharged. Any money taken after the case was filed, should be refunded to you. If you don't meet the dischargeability requirements, they will let you know, and you can set up a payment with them to resolve the balance.