How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Roger Your Own Question

Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 28796
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Motion to stay a judgment

Customer Question

Ok, Judgment has been rendered they are beginning execution March 1st, 80 thousand. Problem is I am "judgment proof" car, tools of my trade, minimum homestead.
Steps taken:
1. Certified "judgment proof" letter to Plaintiff
2. Filed new 100 page suit allegeing "dirty hands doctrine" oppression of shareholder earnings, etc. against Plaintiff.

Plan: State statute, Mississippi Code of 1972 § 11-33-95. Judgment for damages pleadable as payment says that the judgment is stayed if this cause is probable.

My question is how should I file the motion to stop or stay the execution of this judgment?
Submitted: 6 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 6 years ago.

Hi - I practice in Mississippi.


The statute you're referring to says:


§ 11-33-95. Judgment for damages pleadable as payment.

The judgment in favor of the defendant against the plaintiff for the damages assessed and the costs may be pleaded by the defendant as a payment in the same action, or in any other suit on the same cause of action on which the attachment was sued out. An execution shall not be issued on such judgment until after the dismissal of the action or final judgment on the merits. If the action be dismissed, or if, upon a trial on the merits, judgment be in favor of the defendant, without his having obtained the benefit of the judgment in his favor for damages and costs, he shall have execution of said judgment in his favor. If the plaintiff recover in the trial on the merits, and on such trial the defendant did not avail of his judgment against the plaintiff for damages and costs, the greater recovery shall be credited with the sum of the smaller, and judgment shall be rendered by the court in favor of the party to whom the difference may be due.


The only reported case on this statute says:


Where defendant recovers a judgment for damages, and plaintiff's action thereby abates and the assignee of such judgment seeks to enforce it, plaintiff though his claim has meantime become barred, the defendant being insolvent, may resort to equity to enforce his right conferred by § 2756 Code 1880, to use said claim defensively as an offset against the judgment. Feld v. Coleman, 72 Miss. 545, 17 So. 378.


This statute does not deal with staying the payment of a judgment in the sense you're referring. Instead, it talks about how a defendant, which is awarded damages in a case, can collect the damages from the plaintiff.


It is basically saying that the plaintiff cannot collect a judgment against the defendant if a greater judgment was rendered against the plaintiff in favor of the defendant.


Unless the defendant was awarded damages, this statute doesn't apply.

JustAnswer in the News:

Ask-a-doc Web sites: If you've got a quick question, you can try to get an answer from sites that say they have various specialists on hand to give quick answers... seen a spike since October in legal questions from readers about layoffs, unemployment and severance.
Web sites like
...leave nothing to chance.
Traffic on JustAnswer rose 14 percent...and had nearly 400,000 page views in 30 days...inquiries related to stress, high blood pressure, drinking and heart pain jumped 33 percent.
Tory Johnson, GMA Workplace Contributor, discusses work-from-home jobs, such as JustAnswer in which verified Experts answer people’s questions.
I will tell you that...the things you have to go through to be an Expert are quite rigorous.

What Customers are Saying:

  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
< Previous | Next >
  • Mr. Kaplun clearly had an exceptional understanding of the issue and was able to explain it concisely. I would recommend JustAnswer to anyone. Great service that lives up to its promises! Gary B. Edmond, OK
  • My Expert was fast and seemed to have the answer to my taser question at the tips of her fingers. Communication was excellent. I left feeling confident in her answer. Eric Redwood City, CA
  • I am very pleased with JustAnswer as a place to go for divorce or criminal law knowledge and insight. Michael Wichita, KS
  • PaulMJD helped me with questions I had regarding an urgent legal matter. His answers were excellent. Three H. Houston, TX
  • Anne was extremely helpful. Her information put me in the right direction for action that kept me legal, possible saving me a ton of money in the future. Thank you again, Anne!! Elaine Atlanta, GA
  • It worked great. I had the facts and I presented them to my ex-landlord and she folded and returned my deposit. The 50 bucks I spent with you solved my problem. Tony Apopka, FL
  • Wonderful service, prompt, efficient, and accurate. Couldn't have asked for more. I cannot thank you enough for your help. Mary C. Freshfield, Liverpool, UK

Meet The Experts:

  • Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
< Last | Next >
  • Terry L.'s Avatar

    Terry L.


    Satisfied Customers:

    Better Business Bur 15yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar
  • cortrightlaw's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney practicing Bankruptcy Law including Chapter 7, Chapter 11, Chapter 12, and Chapter 13.
  • JoeLawyer's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Attorney in the practice of Bankruptcy Law since 1996
  • Brent Blanchard's Avatar

    Brent Blanchard

    Bankruptcy Attorney

    Satisfied Customers:

    Twelve years experience in all aspects of debtor & creditor BK.
  • A.J.'s Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Experienced consumer bankruptcy attorney.
  • Fritz's Avatar



    Satisfied Customers:

    Florida attorney with extensive experience in Chapter 7 and Chapter 13 consumer bankruptcy cases
  • Law Girl's Avatar

    Law Girl


    Satisfied Customers:

    I am an attorney.