Andrea Ray
Andrea Ray, Attorney
Experience:  Over 5 years experience in consumer and commercial bankruptcy law, Chapters 7 13 and 11

7 years ago I paid to file bankruptcy for my mother. She is

7 years ago I paid to file bankruptcy for my mother. She is now on Social Security and I provide for Her housing and all of her other legal expenses. I just recently received a letter from a debt collector wanting to know my mothers whereabouts. I know this has to do with and old debt, because she has no other outstanding debt at this time. How should I deal with this debt collector when I have no intention of my mom or myself pay a debt that is at least 7 years old?
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Andrea Ray replied 5 years ago.
Write them back and tell them she discharged her debts in bankruptcy on XX date. Send them a copy of the discharge order. Hopefully you have this. If not, maybe contact the attorney that filed the bankruptcy for your mom. (The company can check her credit report (and probably already has) if you can't get a copy of the discharge.) Tell them that continued efforts to collect on this discharged debt will result in civil action by you. You could cc: the attorney general of your state and that would have a similar effect as cc'ing any other attorney, and it wouldn't cost you anything. Or you could cc: the attorney who did your mom's bankruptcy.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do I have to confirm that she lives at my address? The letter the agency sent wanted me to give them her address. Is it correct that I have no legal obligation to tell them where my mom lives? Since I help support my mother can they ever come after me for her old debts?
I am assuming these people are not looking for property that your mother kept (such as a car) when she should have given it back. Unlikely since this is post 7 years, but just want to make sure they're not looking for property on which they have some kind of security interest, because that does survive a bankruptcy. If not, then

No, you don't have to tell them where she lives. They cannot come after you for her discharged debts either, unless you also signed for them or had some kind of joint account with her.
Andrea Ray, Attorney
Experience: Over 5 years experience in consumer and commercial bankruptcy law, Chapters 7 13 and 11