Ellen, Attorney
Experience:  Bankruptcy Lawyer. Experienced.

I have a 1 yr. old business that is not showing a profit yet,

I have a 1 yr. old business that is not showing a profit yet, mostly due to the high interest credit lines/card pmts. of $2,600 mth., which all goes to interest. (Total owed is $80,000) I've had no luck negotiating the rates down or getting consolidation loan. I also own a home that is now worth less than what I owe. I don't have any other income, stocks, savings, etc. just a $3,000 car and furniture for assets. Bankruptcy seems the only option, though I hate to give up my business so soon when it could make it w/o the mthly. interest pmts. IS CHAPTER 7 or 13 AN OPTION FOR ME vs. SOMETHING ELSE? WHAT WOULD BE REQUIRED W/ MY BUSINESS, AS FAR AS HAVING TO INCLUDE IT IN THE BANKRUPTCY OR TRY TO SELL IT FIRST? I'm told by a realtor that it would list for about $40,000 and I'd be lucky to sell it in this economy.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.

Thank you for your question. I am happy to assist you.

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy appears to be the solution. Let me explain.

As an individual, there are two types of bankruptcy available. A Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13.

There are distinct differences in between a Chapter 7 and a Chapter 13 bankruptcy.

A Chapter 7 bankruptcy could discharge (erase) all of your credit card debt. It would be an opportunity for a fresh financial start. Depending on whether your business would have value to a third party, you may lose the business.

A Chapter 13 bankruptcy is a repayment plan for an individual. It may require that you repay some of your unsecured credit card debt over a 3 -5 year period. It would allow you to retain your business.

I hope that the information which I provided was helpful to you.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Would it make any difference of chapter 7 vs. 13 if about half the debt is in my name AND the business name and the other half is not? (personal line of credit)
Expert:  Ellen replied 7 years ago.
For bankruptcy purposes, it would not typically matter. In a 13 all debt that is in your name would go on the plan, regardless of whether the business also was indebted.