Terry L.
Terry L., Attorney
Experience:  Better Business Bureau. 18yrs bankruptcy experience. Chicago Bar Assoc. American Bankruptcy Institute member.
15345323

The husband is debt free no car payment no house payment

The husband is debt free no car payment   no house payment no credit card. My wife is in debt 30,000 in credit card, she is thinking about filing a chapter 7 bankruptcy, The husband and wife is thinking about separating. Should I stay with my wife   until her bankruptcy is done or can I leave now,   or   it   Doesn,t     matter
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Terry L. replied 8 years ago.
It really should not matter. Only debts incurred while married in a community property state are both parties responsibility. (Arizona, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Nevada, New Mexico, Texas, Washington & Texas.) If you do not live in one of these states, then you do not need to file. The court doesl look at household income/expenses for the 6 months leading up to the case, so your income may be calculated in her case, but you are not required to file jointly.