Roger, Attorney
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters

I filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and my attorney did not show

I filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and my attorney did not show up for my 341 meeting of creditors. Said he had another attorney covering for him but when I called that attorney he knew nothing about it. I was scared to death to be there by myself. Everyone else had an attorney but me. I had paid him $1500.00 to do this for me. What should I do? He now wont return my calls.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

My suggestion is that you write the attorney and inform him that he has violated several rules of professional conduct and that you will be forced to file a formal bar complaint against him on those matters if he continues to refuse to call you back or otherwise fail to attend to your case.

Hopefully this will "light a fire" under him and get him going. If not, find another attorney and contact your state's bar association about the attorney's actions.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I did call the state bar and they sent me a form to file a complaint, but his paralegal told me he would be willing to give me a refund if I did not file it.
Expert:  Roger replied 7 years ago.

That's certainly an option, too. An attorney wants a bar complaint about as bad as we want a hole in the head! He'll probably be willing to accommodate you to keep you from filing.

That is up to you.