How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Roger Your Own Question
Roger, Attorney
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Satisfied Customers: 31593
Experience:  BV Rated by Martindale-Hubbell; SuperLawyer rating by Thompson-Reuters
Type Your Bankruptcy Law Question Here...
Roger is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and my attorney did not show

Resolved Question:

I filed for Chapter 7 Bankruptcy and my attorney did not show up for my 341 meeting of creditors. Said he had another attorney covering for him but when I called that attorney he knew nothing about it. I was scared to death to be there by myself. Everyone else had an attorney but me. I had paid him $1500.00 to do this for me. What should I do? He now wont return my calls.
Submitted: 8 years ago.
Category: Bankruptcy Law
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.

My suggestion is that you write the attorney and inform him that he has violated several rules of professional conduct and that you will be forced to file a formal bar complaint against him on those matters if he continues to refuse to call you back or otherwise fail to attend to your case.


Hopefully this will "light a fire" under him and get him going. If not, find another attorney and contact your state's bar association about the attorney's actions.

Customer: replied 8 years ago.
I did call the state bar and they sent me a form to file a complaint, but his paralegal told me he would be willing to give me a refund if I did not file it.
Expert:  Roger replied 8 years ago.

That's certainly an option, too. An attorney wants a bar complaint about as bad as we want a hole in the head! He'll probably be willing to accommodate you to keep you from filing.


That is up to you.

Roger and other Bankruptcy Law Specialists are ready to help you